Course Title: Police Urban Patrol Rifle Instructor
Date: September 11 – September 14, 2017
Time: 0800 - 1700 hours
Course Description: This course will be instructed by Urban Patrol Rifle Instructors. The end user portion of this course is designed to enhance knowledge and employment options of the Police Urban Rifle for tactical, narcotics team personnel and/or patrol officers. Urban rifles are considered mid-range rifles such as the M-16, CAR-15, Mini-14 or any other .223 caliber rifle. The instructor certification portion of this course details methods of classroom and range instruction for teaching the theory and operation of the urban rifle. Each student will be required to demonstrate marksmanship and instructional proficiency with the urban rifle prior to certification. The course is a blending of classroom and range participation. The student is required to safely and efficiently run a live-fire range exercise and successfully present subject matter pertinent to the course in a classroom environment. The student is required to successfully pass a written examination covering course material.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be proficient in:
1. Proper manipulation of the urban rifle.
2. Marksmanship skill by completing a qualification course of fire.
3. Instructional techniques in a classroom environment.
4. Weapon nomenclature and operation.
5. Dry practice and live-fire exercise drills on a square range environment.
6. Overall knowledge of course subject matter with the completion of a written examination.
Required Equipment, Weapons, and Ammunition:
1. Duty Tactical Uniform
2. Duty Headgear or Baseball Cap
3. Knee and Elbow Pads (optional but encouraged)
4. Clothing for Climate Conditions (rain gear, heavy clothing, etc.)
5. Nomex Gloves (Optional)
6. Ear & Eye Protection
7. Whistle and Stop Watch (attached with a lanyard)
8. Urban Police Rifle - .223 caliber (sustained automatic version strongly encouraged)
9. Three 30-Round Magazines
10. 1000 Rounds of Duty Issue .223 Ammunition (other factory permitted - no reloads)
11. Duty Issue Handgun with Tactical Leg Holster
12. Two Handgun Magazines
13. 100 Rounds of Duty Issue Handgun Ammunition (other factory permitted - no reloads)
14. Each Student is encouraged to bring a sight adjustment tool to the course
15. Students must bring a thumb drive to class.
16. All training will be conducted at the Botetourt Co. Range.
Pre-requisite: Must be a firearms instructor to attend this course.
In-Service Credit/Type: 32 hours career development credit
Class Size: Limited to 16 students
Fee: No fee for member agency personnel
$500 for non-member agency personnel
Registration: Contact Cindy Sarver at 540.375.3095 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org