Our mission is to protect the life, safety, and welfare of our citizens, visitors, and businesses by contributing to the preservation of our historic resources and the present and future economic viability of the City of Salem.
To do this, we work to fairly and efficiently enforce the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code by regulating the safety, design, use, or occupancy of all buildings and structures within the City of Salem.
Effective January 18, 2024, an applicant can choose to work in either the 2018 or 2021 building and related codes. On January 18, 2025, only the 2021 codes will be enforced.
These codes may be viewed and purchased at the International Code Council website.
Note: contractors must have a valid business license in order to obtain a permit. Please visit the City of Salem Commissioner of the Revenue for business license requirements or call 540-375-3019.
- I am remodeling my home. Which jobs require a permit?
- I am adding gas logs to a fireplace, do I need a permit?
- We are installing new kitchen cabinets do we need a permit?
- What is the correct way to display a building permit and how long does it have to be kept up?
- Is there any thing I can do if my neighbor has abandoned cars or trash on his property? What about an overgrown lawn?
- Do the inspections have to be done in a specific order?
- I am adding an additional outlet to my home, do I need a building permit?
- Who can obtain a permit?
- Do I have to be present during the inspection?
- What should I know before I hire a contractor?